5 Tips for a Successful Recovery from a Vitrectomy
Steve, Co-Owner of Retina Recovery Inc. located in London, Ontario, Canada, shares a few insights on ways to recover successfully (and comfortably!) from a vitrectomy based on his personal experience.
A quick recap of Steve's tips:
1. ATTITUDE: You can do this! Although there will be times where the minutes, hours, and days may drag... and you feel a bit stir crazy desperate for any kind of movement... your vision is worth it! Your attitude sets the tone and lays the foundation for a great recovery.
2. POSITIONING: Following directions from your surgeon is critical to a successful recovery. Directions may include limiting movement - and that can be tough! Finding the right Recovery System for you will play a major factor in managing your recovery time in comfort. Learn more about the Recovery Systems we've developed at Z Medical that leverage Pelvic-Tilt Technology to promote spinal and pelvic alignment and reduce back, neck and hip pain while you recovery. Learn more here.
3. PILLOW ROTATION: Adjusting your pillows, or even using towels, can make a huge difference on how your body and shoulders feel over the course of your recovery on a day to day basis. Adjusting padding in various areas every hour even an inch may make a huge difference. "Remember, what works for 2 or 3 hours may not work for the 3rd hour. " It may take a bit of trial and error to see what works best for you.
4. PATIENCE + PERSEVERANCE: The recovery process can feel like a slow grind. But remembering the benefits (your vision!) can help. One day at a time. And don't forget to breathe!
5. STRATEGY: Follow directions from your surgeon about stressing or straining your eyes when watching videos or movies on your phone or tablet. Podcasts, radio broadcasts, and audiobooks can be a great alternative to keep your mind active while allowing your eyes to rest.
Recovering from detached retina surgery or a vitrectomy can be a challenge. But it doesn't have to be painful on your back, neck and hips!
Learn more about how our Recovery Systems can help you recover in comfort while supporting your neck, lower back, and pelvis with our Pelvic-Tilt Technology!
DISCLAIMER: The information on this website is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. It is intended to be a reference based on research and information compiled by Z Medical. We encourage you to make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified healthcare professional.